Sunday, August 08, 2004

eve of national day..

the day has finally arrived. the thought of my close friends going for dance rehearsals to prepare for this day is going to end soon. when Gary demontrated some of the dance moves, I thought, wow. their chereographed moves are better than I imagined. even I myself wanted to learn them! like millie said, the memories will always be there... and I snigger at the thought of Gary running faster than the others, the second person running 2 meters behind him.. haha.. I wonder how's his face expression. (Mr. Bean Style??) too bad i missed it. :x
all those who participated in this year are soooo lucky. especially the ones who get to dance.. even more shiok!! it's a chance that I regretted not taking... but never mind, I find other opportunities to do my own thing..

everytime I spotted the NDP tv ad, I knew that, like always, its going to be grand. further more our beloved and well-respected Prime mInister Mr. Goh Chok Tong is stepping down, so this year NDP is really a significant event for all of us. (wah.. I'm getting patriotic here.)

as for work, i survived another week with the usual highs and lows (most of the time, lows) and I had to face and deal with another blow. my mentor told me this; when you work in an office environment, where there are usually office politics, it's best not to get yourself involved. and try not to take things too personally. MOst important of all, be aware of ppl who know your weakness and try to manipulate you using your guilt. So in other words, when I work, I have to be less emotionally detached and have to look at the matter objectively. there was one instance which it happened to me. as usual, Johnny was scolding me, and he told me straight in the face that he tot that I had the wrong ideas about doing my work as he was checking my work. He pointed out my mistakes and made sure that everyone heard him telling me off as I made another blunder. me? you know the saying. what comes in thru the left ear, comes out from the right. he pointed my mistake out, then changed it, all the while saying that this particular customer rang the office the day before and demanded a full explaination why his item was never shipped out. when he looked at the heading, he realised that he himself made a mistake and quickly corrected it. haiz, to think that he scolded me for a shipment that never really happened in the first place (during my absence)
I just rolled my eyes in the end.

however, there ARE some things that happened while I worked there. those things that I did, I admit, I am NOT proud of. This work stint made me realise my Blind Spots. others' points of view of me and their impresson of me to them. But I learnt to take all of them in stride and just work harder than before. hard work is not enough. add to that, a willingness to learn, constantly improving, remember not to do your mistakes again. As I think about it, this data entry job is not only about entering shipment data. it accounts for customer service (Do the RIGHT thing RIGHT the first time, every time)

and the very idea where I had to work my hardest to win back the trust and respect from the all colleagues humbles me greatly.

and this is an ONGOING PROCESS. that realisation just hit me Home..

No comments: